The designation of the State of Iowa as an EPSCoR jurisdiction creates new opportunities for extramural funding. Iowa is eligible for EPSCoR programs at several federal funding agencies, including the National Science Foundation, the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), and the Department of Energy (DOE).
EPSCoR funding opportunities
Other funding sources (Non-EPSCoR)
Even with some differences among agency programs, the EPSCoR approach involves:
- Objective merit review of all research improvement activities;
- Support for programs to raise accomplished researchers and well-established research programs to a level of national competitive excellence;
- Requirement of substantial matching support from state and institutional funding sources; and
- Long-term efforts to improve the research and research training environment in participant states.
Each funding agency administers its EPSCoR program in a way that best contributes to the agency's mission, and EPSCoR policies and procedures differ among agencies. If you have questions regarding a specific program, please contact the Sponsored Programs office at one of the three Regents Universities:
- ISU Office of Sponsored Programs Administration (email@example.com / 515-294-5225)
- UI Division of Sponsored Programs (firstname.lastname@example.org / 319-335-2123)
- UNI Office of Sponsored Programs (email@example.com / 319-273-3217)